Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very low consumption ultra small size 1-minute timer for watch clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I would like to try building an analogue watch and I need a precise 1 minute timer to trigger a tiny motor or any other electromechanical actuator to advance the minutes.
Obviously, since it is a watch, battery saving and circuit voltage, are important.
Also size is important.
I have found these circuits, but they need 5v and I was thinking of a single cr2032 (or larger capacity) button Li-ion cell.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

• 56_1289159252.jpg
    56_1289159252.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 65_1289159252.jpg
    65_1289159252.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 135
  • 1Hz-timebase.png
    1Hz-timebase.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 401

There's the MM5369 IC. It divides 3.579545 MHz (common color tv crystal) down to 60Hz.
To obtain 1 minute divide further by 3600.
8 pins. Runs on 3-18V according to Forrest Mims Engineer's Notebook page 38.

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

You said you want to build an analog clock. But all the circuits are digital.
So I assume you want to build an "analog looking" clock with a digital time base.

Many of the RTCs you can buy have an output. You may configure it to output a 1s clock. Rather precise and designed for low power.

Other good time bases are
* mains frequency. It is not very precise, but rather accurate over a year.
* some RF signals. Here in Germany we have a DCF77 (77 500Hz) from an atomic clock, used for precise clocks.
* almost any microcontroller. Maybe you find one to program it for you. (Run from a 32768 Hz XTAL, maybe just a timer configured to generate the signal, no main loop running). Could be an 8 pin THM IC....

Klaus

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
MHz crystal is causing unnecessary current consumption. Use 32 kHz watch crystal instead. CD4000 CMOS run well from 3V lithium battery, as said.

Status
Not open for further replies.