Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog how to lock value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adgjl40112

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, guys. I have a verilog problem.
In verilog, how do we lock the value?
What I mean is that I have a counter, and I want to increase it only one time.
If I put counter in the sequential block . It will increase when every posedge clock arrive. It's not what I desired. I want to increase the counter again until next enable signal arrive.

How can I achieve this?

For example, A is my input
Code:
always@(posedge clk)
begin
   if (A)
       counter <= counter + 1;
end

It will increase the counter when every psoedge clk arrive.
But I want the counter only increase once. And it increase again when A signal is change.
Please help

Can you tell the clock u use to generate the A signal?
Say, if u generate the A signal with a lesser clock than clk then counter increments many times.

If i understand correctly ur prob

I think just change the sensitivity list

Always @( signal on which u want to execute always block )

What is the A signal? A 1 bit value? The way your counter is setup now it will increase on the positive edge of the clock whenever A is not equal to 0. You may need to refine your if logic.

For instance, create a register for the previous value of A and register it every clock cycle. Then increment your count when A != A_prev.

Sounds like a bad explanation of a simple intention. Do you want to count each edge of signal A? Synchronous edge detection can achieve it easily:
Code:
reg as1,as0;
always@(posedge clk) 
begin
   as0 <= A;
   as1 <= as0;  
   if (as0 && !as1) 
       counter <= counter + 1; 
end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search