Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog construct for casex and casez

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_ray

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can casex and casez statement have non binary case item?

If by binary you mean integral value and non-binary you mean real; it is legal, though not very useful.

If by binary you mean integral value and non-binary you mean real; it is legal, though not very useful.

By binary I mean binary numbers (011, 111, 101......) or numbers represented in binary system. By non binary I mean numbers not in binary system ( 10, 12, 1A. 5D.....) or numbers represent in a base system different than binary system. The numbers will be integer of course here as they are case items for casex and casez. Please now answer to my query.

See IEEE 1364:
An x represents the unknown value in hexadecimal, octal, and binary constants. A z represents the highimpedance value. See 4.1 for a discussion of the Verilog HDL value set. An x shall set 4 bits to unknown in the hexadecimal base, 3 bits in the octal base, and 1 bit in the binary base. Similarly, a z shall set 4 bits, 3 bits, and 1 bit, respectively, to the high-impedance value.
It's usage for casex and casez isn't explicitely discussed in the standard. You should check if your tools support it.

FvM

It is not answering my question. Can we put 3'd6, 4'h5 in case items for casex and casez?

You are slowly approaching a clear question. Of course you can.

3'd6 and 4'h5 have binary representations; 3'b110 and 4'b0101 are equivalent as far as what the simulator sees. But casex and casez are of no use unless there is an X or Z in one of the case expressions.

it is advised not to write casez or casex for to-be-synthesized code as it may show non-parallel property & leading to a priority mux structure while synthesized..
which may not be what you are intended to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back