Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

verilog code copyright/ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

epjay

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have heard that we can write efficient verilog code for some digital designs and we can sell them as SOFT IP cores through some websites. If this is possible, then how to protect my code which is my Intellectual Property so that we can prevent unauthorised use of my codes by others? Tell me how it is done for verilog as well as for VHDL codes

---jay

Ypu are not selling just a source code. You are selling netlist optimized for the specific vendor ie Xilinx Altera, ASIC.

To sell your code you need to become am alliance memebr for Xilinx or (and) Altera you wont to sell throught there sites.

Please have look those sites for the details about partnership

Franckly, if you give your sources, you can't protect them to be used by others.

Hello Iouri,

Thanks for your reply. ok if that is the case, is that not possible to reuse my netlist by others? After all the netlist is also a file...

--jay

Its possible to reuse the netlist, thats why they bought it anyway. But modifications to the netlist is limited than the original verilog code. They can only use it as a block in their design.

Think of it as the C-code and it's pre-compiled library file. You can use library, but modification to the library is limited.

epjay said:
Hello Iouri,

Thanks for your reply. ok if that is the case, is that not possible to reuse my netlist by others? After all the netlist is also a file...

--jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back