Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vector analysis---WRONG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolahalb

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the wrong in the proof that there is no magnetic field?
We know:
div B=0 and B=curl A where B is the magnetic field and A is its vector potential
Then,∫div B dV=0=∫B.n dA(divergence theorem)
Thus, 0=∫(curl A).n dA
=∫A.dr(Stokes' theorem)
The last will be a cyclic integral.
Since the cyclic line integral is zero,A is conservative;
or,A=grad f
Then,B=curl A=curl grad f=0
or,B=0

I think the problem lies between the equality in Stokes' theorem.In original Stokes' theorem LHS is a non-cyclic integral whereas here it comes directly from divergence theorem and is a cyclic integral...
Please let me know if i am correct;if not,then where did I go wrong.
Thank you in advance

You are right that you have to be careful about closed and non closed line/path integral. Further more it will be an error to assume that
∫div B dV=0, rather this integral should be constant. Any way, since there are more than one flaws in the proof the argument is not proved and hence false.

I did not understand why ∫div B dV is not zero.For a closed volume there is no magnetic monopole that will make the divergence non-zero.

kolahalb said:
I did not understand why ∫div B dV is not zero.For a closed volume there is no magnetic monopole that will make the divergence non-zero.

Yes, I was trying to say it is zero or constant in general and in this case it is zero when you work with

∫© B.da which will be zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.