Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vacuum Pressure Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayaSlaya69

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, i need some help is choosing the best pressure sensor for a project i'm doing. The sensor needs to monitor the pressure inside a sealed enclosure which will be vacuum sealed with the expected pressures to be in the range 50mbar to 150mbar. As far as i understand i need an absolute pressure sensor for this purpose. However the only pressure sensors of this type available in my country are expensive and the more cost effective variants have a measuring range of 0 - 100 kpa (0 - 1000 mbar), with a sensitivity of about 0.4mV/kpa. Over the 5V range of the microcontroller i intend to interface the sensors with, these sensors do not offer a high enough sensitivity to read values in the 0 - 150mbar range.

I have however found a similar product, with a range of 0 - 50kpa, and a sensitivity of 90mv/kpa, which i feel will be more suitable for the project, but it is stipulated as a guage pressure sensor. Although, as per my interpretation of the respective datasheet, the sensor is internally referenced to a vacuum pressure. Does this mean that this sensor would be suitable for my appliaction? I have attached the datasheet in this post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge of pressure and their measururement is quite limited. Thanks

Attachments

• P1 - 0900766b80d2545f.pdf
    78.1 KB · Views: 53

If it states it is for detecting positive pressure, then it is chancey for you to purchase it on the chance it will give a usable reading of negative pressure.

Vacuum sensors are widely used in vehicles. The engine vacuum gauge is a common instrument. One of those might be what you need, or might contain a sensor you can use. I don't know if it would give the sensitive you require.

The devices you show, sensors by Honeywell, operate like Wheatstone bridges. They need the specified DC voltage supply, and at the output they deliver a floating voltage proportional to the pressure difference between the atmospheric and connected pressure.
Any instrumentation operational amplifier is good to use with it. Inputs are floating, matched to the sensor outputs, and you can adjust the gain with a single resistor. At the output of such amplifier you can set any useful voltage, 0 to +/- 1 to +/- 10 V, proportional to pressure difference.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

The devices you show, sensors by Honeywell, operate like Wheatstone bridges. They need the specified DC voltage supply, and at the output they deliver a floating voltage proportional to the pressure difference between the atmospheric and connected pressure.
Any instrumentation operational amplifier is good to use with it. Inputs are floating, matched to the sensor outputs, and you can adjust the gain with a single resistor. At the output of such amplifier you can set any useful voltage, 0 to +/- 1 to +/- 10 V, proportional to pressure difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back