Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using software decoding instead of STA013 and friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspike

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm want to build an MP3 Player based on a 18Fxxx PIC, but this is hard to get Mp3 decoder IC here. My question is It is possible to decode mp3 via software (have to be), but will be a PIC able to do it ? How the MP3 format works ? What I get after decoding mp3 ? Just byte or words, what are can be D/A converted and so ? Or have u ever seen a project, which decodes mp3 in software (in a uC) ? Thanks for all ur trouble ! I hope more people will be interested in this project and it will be so usefull as others here. one more thing, I want to write in C18, so C codes are so usefull.

Hi mspike,
decoding mp3 is very very hard for normal pics. it needs a digital signal processor which is more expensive. My graduation project was an mp3 player and we used sta013. decoding mp3 is a math rich algorithm. I advise u to use the STA instead. it is cheap I think only 5 USD and accurate. u have to use also a D/A converter for about 2 USD. Why is it difficult to get the STA??????? MP3 specs are available on the internet. I don't have the resources now because I am at work and all documents are at home.

Bad news... I hoped, that I can use 18 family... Thanks u guys. I will use decoder IC instead. This topic can be closed now, if u have rights to do it, please do it. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.