Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Mic from 1~1.5 meters voice recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

shubh1994

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to talk to the mic throughout the house. So I need to be able to speak from about 1~ 1.5m away to a mic array (8mics in one array) in the ceiling.I am using 3~4 of such mic arrays.
I am using op amps and audio signal design,
The Quality is important, because the voice recognition will work better with better quality mics, and I am using DSP for voice recognition (Beam Forging,HMM etc).

My main problem in how to connect multiple microphone array with each other??
Do I need to have DSP on each microphone array??

I'm not sure your signal will improve by putting several mic's close together. It creates signals which are out-of-phase with one another. High frequencies will be blurred. (The 'S' sound is mainly in the high frequencies.)

I would set up single microphones, 10 or 20 feet apart, and run them all into a mixer. A simple op amp mixer might do the job. Or possibly you'll need to amplify each mic separately, then send its signal to a unity gain mixer.

For speech recognition to succeed, the mic should be close to the mouth. If it is several feet away, we must pronounce words clearly and slowly.

Thanks for the quick reply
I am getting good signal strength after connecting multiple microphone array in circular array.
My problem problem is how to connect multiple microphone array to each other?? (physical network) wireless or using ethernet wire...

I won't dispute that you can get a stronger signal by using two or more microphones.

Shielded cables are a satisfactory way to carry mic signals.
As long as your cables and connections are good, you don't have to amplify the signal.

You want to avoid interference from other parts of the house, in order to get the best speech recognition. This suggests you should set a threshold for sound level. If a mic is louder than the threshold, send its signal to the computer.

If a mic is quiet, then turn it off (squelch).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back