Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using ground pour to connect to the GND track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frikkie

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sdya011

I am still busy learning what and what not to do but that only comes with experience.

According what I have gathered if the PCB overall current is less than 500mA you can use the ground pour to connect to the GND track.
If it is over that then the ground pour area must be connected to one pin that is connected to ground. The circuit is a basic digital circuit. Micro and switches. No analog involved.

I just want to know if this is correct 8) or not :evil: ?

Thank you all in advance.

Re: Ground plane

Frikkie said:
According what I have gathered if the PCB overall current is less than 500mA you can use the ground pour to connect to the GND track.
If it is over that then the ground pour area must be connected to one pin that is connected to ground.

I just want to know if this is correct 8) or not :evil: ?

No, this is not correct, there are no such rules :eek:
There is nothing "magical" about 500 mA current.

akouz

Thank you for the reply. Do you know where I could find out
more about the groud pour rules then. Or can I just connect
the pour to the GND track.

Frikkie said:
Do you know where I could find out
more about the groud pour rules then. Or can I just connect
the pour to the GND track.

It depends on your application.

If your bouard does not generate too much noise and it is not sensitive to external noise, then you can pour copper any way you wish. In that case you save etching solution and therfore help environment.

If ther are noise problems then you need observe some rules. You might wish to read some appnotes to get a feeling for that, such as:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Associated_Docs/27648933Section9.pdf
...etc

For high speed boards see:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor