Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using CVS when designing HDL code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CVS and HDL code

hi

i'm new to this group
so vannakkam( saying "hi" in tamil language) to every one
i like to know much more abt CVS, also in which i can download
this management tool

reg
vijaybabu

Is a way to get multiple redos even that your system (editor) dosent support multiple redos/undos) when is closed, all the information is trashed of your previous work with the one that you already have now.

Also offer the oportunity to test diferent branches, aka, diferent ways to implement something.

Normally you will make copy of the same file to other directory for try to do in a diferent way, or you will rename the files in a directory like this: file1__old.xxx and file1.xxx and you will rename each one for in case of shoftware benchmark them, but that is garbage.

By the way, also can be used like a tool for make a tutor system, you start at first with the scheleton, then you add the hello world and you can have many stages with the same source, not need to make diferent directories and have a lot of the near same files for do this ;).

It is always advisable to have CVS or RCS for any project. This make archiving project very easy

CVS and HDL code

It is there any CVS server and client tools for windows system?

http://www.tortoisecvs.org/

It has integration with the explorer shell...

You can start reading the help (right click in the explorer->cvs->help)

I suguest create a folder for have the repository of your diferent projects like c:\repository

And inside this folder, you can create other folders that they will be your real repositories, like: sql_programming, hdl_clock,...

Then, you go to your project folder (project folder diferent than repository folder, in the first is where you work and in the second is where the "saves" are made) and also you create there the same set of folders, then you right click in the folder and you select cvs->make new module you enter a name and the path where is the repository like c:\repository\hdl_clock and is done.

You can start creating files inside your projects\hdl_clock and use the cvs for maintain diferent levels of advance.

The tags are used for name a realease.. or ar used only for give name, the branchs are used for maintain a parallel work, you use cvs_update speciall for switch between works.

I supose will be best if you make first some dummy projects and start adding/modifying and updating the cvs, to familiarizate yourself with this tool.

The most important I guess is maintain the c:\repositories folder and the c:\projects folders apart ;).

We use Subversion in a mixed language HDL project. ViewCVS is setup on the server.
Subversion server and web server is Linux
Unix client machines use the svn command. Windows clients use TortoiseSVN. I definitely recommend this. Also, SVN has better handling of binary files than CVS.

we have used it for many years, it is simple, and convenient, but it is only version control software and can not do some job on access control.

most of my workmate use CVS to manage HDL code.

you can have a try also.

Bartart said:
Hi!

How many of you are using CVS when design a HDL code?

thanks, bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back