Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Interface Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boon_NZ

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am planning to use a FT245BM device from FTDI to add USB connectivy to my circuit.

However, I will be completing some battery charging using USB also (MAX1811). The USB specifications state that no more than 100mA cannot be drawn until the device is enumerated and that it can be configured as a high power device (upto 500mA) via enumeration.

My question is, are these figures guidelines or are they limits. Could a device source more than 100mA at startup and still connect correctly? Could it draw 200mA without configuring as a high power device? I realise this will not be within the USb spec but will it work?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

If you are design something out of the USB specs, it may work for some PCs but not work for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back