Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Host controllers Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodres

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello:

I'm working in a proyect and I need to use an USB Host controller. I need to conect it into a ucontroller but I have to use the minimum number of pines to conect them. Could somebody tell me which is the best controller in the market (cypress or philips or which)?.

Is better to use an USB OTG controller?. I think is better but, Which can I use?

Please, help me :(

Hi.
I recomend a chip FT232BM for serial comunication or FT245BM for parallel comunication.
Check out

www.ftdichip.com for more infos. There you cen get schematics and source codes
for free.

O.k but this IC doesn't support the USB host mode.

I need a controller that support Host/Device modes. Which could I use?

Thanks

Phillips i better choice.

SL811HS ( Device driver is ported in LINUX)

**broken link removed**

Embedded USB Host/Slave Controller

The SL811HS is a single-chip, dual-speed USB Embedded Host controller that can operate as either a USB Host, or USB peripheral device. The SL811HS can interface to devices such as microprocessors, microcontrollers, DSPs or directly to a variety of buses such as ISA, PCMCIA and others.

The SL811HS USB Host/Slave Controller incorporates USB Serial Interface functionality along with internal full/low-speed transceivers. The SL811HS supports and operates in USB full-speed mode at 12 Mbps, or at low-speed 1.5 Mbps mode. The SL811HS data port and microprocessor interface provide an 8-bit data path I/O or DMA bidirectional, with interrupt support to allow an easy interface to a variety of microprocessors or microcontrollers.

Features

The only USB Host/Slave controller for embedded system in the market with a standard microprocessor bus interface.
Supports both full-speed (12 Mbps) and low-speed (1.5 Mbps) USB transfer
Operates as a Single USB Host, or Slave under Software control
Low Speed 1.5 Mbps, and Full Speed 12 Mbps, in both Master and Slave modes
Automatic Detection of either Low/Full speed devices
8-bit Bidirectional Data, port I/O (DMA supported in slave mode)
On-Chip SIE and USB transceivers
On-Chip Single Root HUB support
256 bytes Internal SRAM buffer, Ping-Pong operation
Operates from 12 MHz or 48 MHz crystal or oscillator (Built-in DPLL)
5 V tolerant Interface
Suspend/resume, wake up and low power modes are supported
Auto Generation of SOF, and CRC5/16
Auto Address increment mode, saves memory READ/Write Cycles
Development kit including source code drivers is available
Backward compatible with SL11H, both pin and functionality
3.3V power source, 0.35 micron CMOS Technology
Available in either a 28-Pin PLCC (SL811HS) or 48-Pin TQFP (SL811HST-AC) package

elcielo said:

h**p://www.cypress.com/cfuploads/img/products/SL811HS.pdf

O.k. thanks. I saw some of philips microcontrollers and the SL811HS. I read in some paper this about it: "The host/slave functionality provides support for both full and low speed devices in host mode and the SL811HS/T switches automatically to slave mode when a connection to a USB host is detected".

How can I do that?.

I appreciate your information

Thanks

SL811HS PROBLEM

elcielo said:

h**p://www.cypress.com/cfuploads/img/products/SL811HS.pdf

The SL811HS is a single-chip, dual-speed USB Embedded Host controller that can operate as either a USB Host, or USB peripheral device. The SL811HS can interface to devices such as microprocessors, microcontrollers, DSPs or directly to a variety of buses such as ISA, PCMCIA and others.

The SL811HS USB Host/Slave Controller incorporates USB Serial Interface functionality along with internal full/low-speed transceivers. The SL811HS supports and operates in USB full-speed mode at 12 Mbps, or at low-speed 1.5 Mbps mode. The SL811HS data port and microprocessor interface provide an 8-bit data path I/O or DMA bidirectional, with interrupt support to allow an easy interface to a variety of microprocessors or microcontrollers.

Features

The only USB Host/Slave controller for embedded system in the market with a standard microprocessor bus interface.
Supports both full-speed (12 Mbps) and low-speed (1.5 Mbps) USB transfer
Operates as a Single USB Host, or Slave under Software control
Low Speed 1.5 Mbps, and Full Speed 12 Mbps, in both Master and Slave modes
Automatic Detection of either Low/Full speed devices
8-bit Bidirectional Data, port I/O (DMA supported in slave mode)
On-Chip SIE and USB transceivers
On-Chip Single Root HUB support
256 bytes Internal SRAM buffer, Ping-Pong operation
Operates from 12 MHz or 48 MHz crystal or oscillator (Built-in DPLL)
5 V tolerant Interface
Suspend/resume, wake up and low power modes are supported
Auto Generation of SOF, and CRC5/16
Auto Address increment mode, saves memory READ/Write Cycles
Development kit including source code drivers is available
Backward compatible with SL11H, both pin and functionality
3.3V power source, 0.35 micron CMOS Technology
Available in either a 28-Pin PLCC (SL811HS) or 48-Pin TQFP (SL811HST-AC) package

Posted: 23 May 2005 9:19 Post subject: USB HID keyboard interface firmware

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,

I am trying to write a firmware to interface USB keyboard with SL811HS, i have some problems with it .

When a keyboard HID device is connected, I have successfully detected the Low speed device connection ...the next step is to get device descriptor. But when i send a setup packet and immediately read the status register i observed "Time out bit set".... How to proceed further ?

Thanks in advance
Subrahmanyam

Status
Not open for further replies.