Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] usb data interface using fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiten09

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are planning to do Usb data interfacing using fpga , we have altera cyclone board using verilog code, can anyone please guide me how to start..if anyone can share any links or any tutorial files...

thanks

Can you Please be more specific? Are you intending to implement USB-Physical layer or just data transfering through some existing interface?
You can go through https://www.usb.org/developers/docs for understanding the USB specification.
If you want data tranfer, it depends on what is implemented in your board ( Like FT-232 IC). Your board manual is the best source.

actually my aim is i have to read data from usb and to pass that to perform any other operation, i have fpga altera cyclone board provided by my college i can use that fpga board and interface usb with it, but i am very new to it so i don't know how to start. i don't know the logic how to program it, i can write the code if i get logic, can you pls help me start the project?

USB is very complicated. You should really use a USB IP block inside the FPGA - but these are not cheap if you cant find a free working one on opencores.org

cant i go with usb?
can you please share how to di it

add a external USB-controller to your board (i.e. EZ-USB FX2). This is the easiest way I know for a rapid and cheap connection.

DO you have a USB port in your board?
If not, you will have to buy a UBS module, which handles USB transactions and gives data through SPI/I2C protocols.
In my opinion, do not go with implementing USB protocol unless it is 1-2 year project.

Just go through this link **broken link removed**

DO you have a USB port in your board?
If not, you will have to buy a UBS module, which handles USB transactions and gives data through SPI/I2C protocols.
In my opinion, do not go with implementing USB protocol unless it is 1-2 year project.

Just go through this link **broken link removed**

i have usb port in board, i am attaching a pic
fpga kit.jpg

Check the schematic for your devboard to see what chip is used for usb connectivity. That should be step numero uno methinks.

Step numero duo being check the datasheet of said chip. ;)

ya i am having altera de-2 cyclone 2 board, but i need to connect a pendrive to the board and read and write data on it. so how to do that

ya i am having altera de-2 cyclone 2 board, but i need to connect a pendrive to the board and read and write data on it. so how to do that

That's a picture of a DE1 board.. If you have a DE2 that's not what it looks like.

Anyway if you really DO have a DE2, this good Samaritan (see link below) has already coded USB transceiver for the chip on your board in pure VHDL.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/253773/#post1134759 See the post from mzakharo.

Edit:
Btw forgot to mention USB on the DE1 is not really for general purpose use. It's used for programming the FPGA, using SignalTap, ..etc through Altera's tool chain.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.