Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universal Input Design for any uC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber_dev

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am intented to design a universal input to interface a 3v3 MCU for a generic I/O module. I investigated some of commercially available modules. Each of universal inputs can be configured (user selectable) any of the following options :
Voltage input = 0-5V, 0-10V
Current input = 0-20mA, 4-20mA
Resistive input
PWM or Frequency input

To design such an input, im my mind a difference amplifier with programmable gain (1/2, 2) can be a good starting point. For voltage inputs, input impedance should be over 100K. For current sensing a 124R %0.1 resistor may work well. For PWM and frequency inputs (5V pulses) timer module of MCU can be used.

For 5V to 3v3 conversion a resistor divider with traditional %1 resistors may not be a good idea due to the high temperature coefficient. Low tolerance and low ppm resistors are very expensive. In this case what's your solution?

Let's design it together. Since it is open, everyone can use it. The key considerations for the design is less of complexity and low cost. I look forward to your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.