Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unfused Digital Multimeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GranTotem

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a question to which I couldnt find a clear answer and that is, why does a DMM have a 20a UNFUSED socket?

Why would you fuse the 200ma Max. and leave the 20a one unfused!

The DMM I have is a low end, an Unitrend UT58C, looks nice and works well but I feel kinda insecure knowing that it has this "issue".

Should I bother to add a 20a 1000v fuse? There is space inside to add a cylindrical fuse holder (looks like a tube that you unscrew and put the fuse in). As a hobbyist I havent had to measure more than a few milliamps so, should I bother?

Thanks in advance,
GranTotem

The high current socket of a DMM is generally not fused to avoid the voltage drop across the fuse at the (intended) high measurement currents.

Also, a fuse would be quite useless in protecting the meter against *slight* overloads. For example, most meters impose a time limit on their high current measurement - mine says "20A for 30s" - this is to limit the heat dissipated within the internal current shunt. A fuse capable of passing 20A won't blow with any sort of rapidity until the fault current is substantially larger - say, 60A+. Since the meter can be readily destroyed through overheating at currents far below this value, the manufacturer's don't bother installing a fuse (and imparting the user with a false sense of security). Plus, they save (=pocket) a few $s in the process!

The one time where a fuse would be handy though is in the case of an extreme overload - where a fuse would be expected to blow within milliseconds.
Interestingly, I have found that the leads themselves can perform this role :) I had forgotten to swap the connections back from "Amps" to "Volts" when I placed the probes across the bussbars of a (very large) lead-acid backup battery bank.... *KAPOW!!* ...when the smoke cleared (and my pulse rate returned to normal) I found I was holding only the rubber handgrips of the probes and the tips and wires no longer existed!

Oh, to answer your question then - no, don't bother installing a fuse. A new meter might be cheaper on the one day that it mattered!

I agree with the above post, the meter may not have a fuse, but often the manufacturers put in a weak spot say a small section of PCB track that blows first, saving the rest of the meter. You don't need to ask me how I know this:oops:

Now I understand, thanks!

Your story reminded me of when I was building a power supply and the mains where shorted by its metallic case...
Heart attack + big spark + all 3 bedrooms out of electricity (safety switch, thermal switch(whatever you call it in english) switched off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back