Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding ports and pins in Designer 8.0 Layout/Planar EM solver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm in the middle of a steep learning curve with Designer 8.0 and need some clarifications. Im trying to simulate a power amplifier input match network that contains lumped elements and copper. I want to simulate the copper with the 2D+ EM simlulator and attach the lumped components accordingly - except I can not figure out the types of ports and how they excite the microstrip copper structure.

I've with ADS's Momentum tool for years and in that tool I would simply drop and 'Internal Port' where I wanted the lumped element to connect to the structure, but I can't figure out what the equivalent is in Designer's Layout tool. From other posts, I believe I want a gap source but am not sure how this excites the structure. The Online Help PDF file is not very useful/clear in this case.

I know I don't want an Edge Port. To me, that's similar to a calibrated port in ADS Momentum that injects as ~TEM wave into the structure from a transmission line standpoint. I want the excitation to come from above and inside the metal structure, as it would in reality from the pads of the lumped component. Its unclear to me how a Gap source introduces the excitation on an 'internal surface', i.e. internal surface in which plane? Normal to the copper surface (i.e. out of the monitor screen in the layout view?).

Also, what use to Pins have in the layout tool? Do they become some kind of ports?

Thanks for any direction/help. It's just not clicking for me yet.
Subby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back