Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultra-High Precision Clock generator advices needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMCC

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I need to have a programmable clock in the range of 100-300 Mhz with jitter bellow 1 ps (rms).
My first solution is to use a VCO with a phase detector and frequency dviders.
The proble is that, if I use a 1Ghz VCO i can only obtain 1GHz/N (N integer) or 250/200/166,67/142,86/125 and 111 MHz (corresponding to N=4 to 9) in the range that I require.

Does any one have idea how can I obtain 1 ps rms multiple frequencies in the range 100-300 Mhz.

Thank you very much.

Alvaro

hi,
as I know in CMOS technique,
clock with tj(rms)=1ps is nearly impossible in real world.

Maybe using 2 high frequency oscilators, like 20GHz and 20GHz+-300MHz.
Beating the signals generated by the 2 oscilators you would have a low jitter product in your range. And the phase noise should be quite low. I don't know if it is possible to get down to 1ps rms, it will surely be very difficult.
If one of the oscilators is a VCO, then you could maybe have the desired frequency span...

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.