Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UHF PNP 4G PROTOTYPE CHIP HELP

MicroWelding Services

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Evening my name is Milos Michael Jevtic from Micro Welding Services

We have a project that we require some help with a development for a prototype device for our customer we require a 4G UHF frequency chip that is dual band and can send/receive data also GPS locations I Have attached a spec sheet with an overview of the chips requested functions the chip will be a triode that is used for high frequency local vibration and mixing the chip will also be used for rectification switching and limiting.

ULTRA HIGH FREQUENCY PNP TRANSISTOR CHIP TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS

Chip Size: 0.32x0.32mm

Chip Thickness: 200μm~240μm

Packaging Method: Box Packaging

ParameterSymbolRated ValueUnitsMeasured in
PowerPtot--0.225W
Collector CurrentIcm--50mA
Maximum Junction tempTjm--+175
Storage TemperatureTstg-65+175

Electrical Parameter Requirements

Parameter Symbol Test Conditions Requirements Units

Collector- Emitter breakdown voltageV(BR)CEOIC=3mA15V
Collector-Base breakdown voltageV(BR)CBO IC=100μA20V
Emitter-Base Breakdown VoltageV(BR)EBOIE=100 μA3V
Forward Current Transfer RatiohFEVCE=6V IC=1mA30
Collector-Base Cuttoff CurrentICBOVCB=15V----- 20nA
Collector-Emitter Saturation VoltageVCE (sat)IC=5mA IB=0.5mA----- 100mV
Characteristic FrequencyfTVCE=10V IC=4mA5000Mhz

Other Requirements

• Chip backside Electrode: Collector
  • Chip Backside Metal/material: Au thickness greater thank 1.5μm.
  • Chip Frontside Metal/Material: Al Thickness range 1-2 μm.
  • Chip Surface Protection: Si3N4 thickness greater than 0.1 μm.
  • Chip Appearance sample;

Function detail:

The Chip function will be for sending and receiving of date rectification switching limiting the chip is used as a Triode it will be used in a high frequency 4G signal sending and receiving as well as a GPS chip high frequency local vibration and mixing.

-Max. Junction Temp.=+175°
This is only available with GaN or similar High Reliability Compound Semiconductors. Silicon based components cannot resist to this temperature grade.
GaN and similar compound semiconductor devices don't have NPN,PNP polarization feature. they can be either Depletion or Enhancement type.
-Why PNP ? Is there any particular reason ? What type of application you intend to ?
Your application description is not consistant.

This transistor (a NPN/PNP Pair) roughly fits your requirements but it's not available in DIE form though.
If the manufacturing volume is sufficiently high, you can contact with this company to obtain a quotation.

thank you so much for the information its not a problem it does not specifically have to be a PNP type it just has to comply to the parameters required if you could give me an option that would be able to withstand that heat range that would be very much appreciated

thank you so much for the information its not a problem it does not specifically have to be a PNP type it just has to comply to the parameters required if you could give me an option that would be able to withstand that heat range that would be very much appreciated
This one seems adequate.
But I have said earlier, if junction Temperature exceeds +175° or more, you have no more choice rather than GaN or GaAs compound semiconductors.
If you have a volume production with it, you can also request GaN on SiC or GaAs Foundries such as QORVO, MACOM or WIN Semiconductors to request a die form discrete transistor. Small Signal Discrete III-IV Transistors are not so widely available nowadays except High Power RF Devices.
But it should be noted that, if there isn't any readily available transistor for your purpose, modelling and development costs are very high for III-IV categories.

There are other Chinese based III-IV Foundries but I don't know their capabilities and quality. All depends on the volume so $$$.

we have contacted with the customer they are requiring that the chip be a P type chip as they want to use the chips on a wide range of their devices across different devices hence why they want to keep the chips P type uniform across a wide range they also mentioned that it is to be used as a triode in light of this could you recommend a P type chip that would be able to work close to these Junction temperatures or maybe a work around could be a chip with a specific type of heat coating or cooling that would not allow it to get to those temperatures so it would not be able to compromise the chip life?

we have contacted with the customer they are requiring that the chip be a P type chip as they want to use the chips on a wide range of their devices across different devices hence why they want to keep the chips P type uniform across a wide range they also mentioned that it is to be used as a triode in light of this could you recommend a P type chip that would be able to work close to these Junction temperatures or maybe a work around could be a chip with a specific type of heat coating or cooling that would not allow it to get to those temperatures so it would not be able to compromise the chip life?
There isn't such "P-Type chip". It can be either PNP or NPN type Bipolar Transistor or N-Type or P-Type MOS.
It's not possible to cool down Die Temperature since a Current flows in it. It depends on many factors, many internal and external parameters.
I'm also wondering why Junction Temperature may exceed +175° ? You have pointed out the max. allowable Power Dissipation in your specification list.
Junction Temperature is also proportional to Dissipated Power, Die Size and some other semiconductor characteristics.
I think you don't have knowledge about semiconductor devices and therefore you have difficulties to explain the case. I could still not understand how this device will be used and why +175° Junction Temperature specification is still requested yet for that small Power Dissipation. Is the environment where this device will work very hot ?
If it's so, don't confuse the Junction Temperature and Ambient Temperature. They are related but not same things.

by P type I meant PNP sorry for not using the full terminology and I do understand the difference between ambient temperature and junction temperature I also have questioned our customer in regards to the temperature if it will even get to that level the chips would be working in aerospace environments and military applications and being used in a variety of devices by the customer we are also trying to get more information on the importance of the heat range and exact parameters from them I was just hoping to see if there was any solution available that you might know of.

-Max. Junction Temp.=+175°
This is only available with GaN or similar High Reliability Compound Semiconductors. Silicon based components cannot resist to this temperature grade.
I have tested a few parts out to 300C which worked fine.
Of course they were SOI. But it's really just a matter of
doping and metalurgy. High voltage is not your friend of
course (involving lightly doped blocking junctions which
"go intrinsic" early). With some care about base shunt
resistance you could get a 40V PNP or maybe even a
logic level MOSFET to work OK. Respect the hell out of
drain / collector current and derate a lot, if you want long
term reliable. Bond wires may impose more of a limit to
long term reliability than your metallization on the die.
Especially with gold wires on aluminum pads. You had
best peel another layer off any onion you find and make
sure the pads are tri-metal, with a gold top layer to take the
gold ball coining.

You should not expect a 20V PNP to do better than 1GHz.
I question why this requirement is "bundled" with what seems
to be a RF modem IC.

Unclear whether this is a "switch" or a "source" application.

If I were you I'd be lookin at the 40V BVceo range just
because there's a lot more to choose from.

THAT Corp makes dielectric isolated 40V PNP quads which
although not rated for the temperature, are very like one
of the technologies I characterized and published a
paper on. You could make a temperature capable (but
likely not at all matching your mechanical callouts)
circuit breadboard style with their NPN, PNP and/or
2-of-each quads.

Harris (now Renesas) op amps were well known to the
downhole industry as capable-beyond-datasheet. There
is a body of industry knowledge. Which made developing
real high temp products a non-starter, because they knew
they could get "good enough" (suited to 200-250C at some
lifetime) for industrial-grade pricing.

thank you for that information is there any PNP type chips that will fit my requirements that are available on the market now that we can send for testing apart from the junction temperature but that would cover all the other requirements?

It is still really unclear to me what the relation of the radio to
the "PNP chip" is. If all you are looking for is a small signal
PNP, that's easy-ish. If you want a radio, you can buy modem
modules (not sure about those including GPS). The 4GHz
pertains to what, regarding the "PNP"?

I think there's two or three things getting tangled up.

Sorry to be a pain we are organizing the chips that you recommended to send out for testing to the customer We are having a lot of trouble finding the BFT92 215 chip anywhere this chip seems to have all the parameters is there another chip you know if that is available that has the same specs as that one?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back