Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART isolation using Optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamanan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am using 8051 for serial communication. It talks with another microcontroller at TTL level. So I think there is no need for MAX232. Am I correct ?. Is it enough if I connect tx of miconA to rx of moconB and rx miconA to tx of miconB. Is it like this or I need to connect some other way?. If I want to isolate this path, how can I do that?.
Regards,
Vamanan Kutty

Hi

You can use low speed low cost couplers. You should just ensure the LED drive current and secondary side pull up resistor are OK for values given in datasheet.

I saw there is a new coupler which with very low drive current can work: ACPL-054L. You can directly drive it from many microcontrollers, as LED current can be so low as 3mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back