Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two monitors for two programs running on same machine, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopal_amlekar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I would like to know if there is some way to address this situation.

If I am running two programs (processes) in Linux say for e.g. a firefox and a media player. What I would like to do is connect two monitors to my machine and display the output of firefox on one monitor while media player on the other monitor.
If this is possible, I would also like to extend this to more number of monitors each of them showing different outputs.
This will need some hardware as well as some kernel level modifications probably.
I just imagine this situation on hardware side that I am capturing outputs of each program in software before passing it to main display. Then send this output with some framing to some IP address on LAN. This IP address will remove the frames, identify to which monitor the signal belongs and will send i to that particular monitor.
Is it possible? Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

Definetely it is possible as for windows we use 2 monitors to do our project.
one monitor i use to run or debug the program and other to see output or run different application. so i run internet and check mails in one monitor and do coding / debugging in other monitor

---------- Post added at 02:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 ----------

Currently you can connect 2 displays, to INTEL normal processor. check the dual core specification. as the display is handled by the Video accelerator and audio video card. we should know the limitation of it toooo.

Multi-Monitor, also called Multi-Display, Multi-Head, Dual-Display, and Dual-Monitor, is the use of multiple physical display devices, such as monitors, television, and projectors, in order to increase the area available for computer programs running on a single computer system.

Hi all,
I would like to know if there is some way to address this situation.
yes it is possible under linux known as multihead.
If I am running two programs (processes) in Linux say for e.g. a firefox and a media player. What I would like to do is connect two monitors to my machine and display the output of firefox on one monitor while media player on the other monitor.
If this is possible, I would also like to extend this to more number of monitors each of them showing different outputs.
This will need some hardware as well as some kernel level modifications probably.
well if your Motherboard has more than one display option then you can use more than one physical displays.
I just imagine this situation on hardware side that I am capturing outputs of each program in software before passing it to main display. Then send this output with some framing to some IP address on LAN. This IP address will remove the frames, identify to which monitor the signal belongs and will send i to that particular monitor.
Is it possible? Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

Well what ever you say in the last few lines are not new, you can achieve them by starting separate VNC session. I guess it is a pretty old thing. The desktop streaming works in the same way. You can look into NoMacchines NX code server and client code.

The Key is you start a separate VNC session for each application and use the VNC client at other end to see what is happening.
The compression and metadata transfer and representation should be implemented if you dont want to use standard VNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.