Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TVS diode for IC 5V protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

aless2056

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, guys I have a very simple circuit with a PIC16F628 connected directly to a digital potentiometer MAX5386. All powered by a 5V source through an LM7805.

Initially, I had a problem with the Max5386, which returned the resistance to the initial position, after I put a 100nF capacitor between Vcc and the IC's gnd, the problem resolved. But now after a few days on, the Max5389 always burns, I believe it is some transient in the power supply.

Can putting a TVS diode on can prevent this from happening?
Which TVS diode would be indicated?

Although a TVS diode can't guarantee a supply voltage below maximum rating of 6V, it will typically reduce the risk of overvoltage damage. Choose 5.6 V or even 5V TVS, the latter will already show some leakage at noominal supply voltage.

It's however not said that supply overvoltage is damaging your device, overvoltage at the analog terminals is possible as well.

Although a TVS diode can't guarantee a supply voltage below maximum rating of 6V, it will typically reduce the risk of overvoltage damage. Choose 5.6 V or even 5V TVS, the latter will already show some leakage at noominal supply voltage.

It's however not said that supply overvoltage is damaging your device, overvoltage at the analog terminals is possible as well.
In case the Max5389 power supply is 5V, can a 1N5908 or a 1N6373 help me?

In the TVS datasheet, I don't know very well which values are important and when the TVS does the voltage clamping
--- Updated ---

What would be the TVS Diode options to protect the MAX5389 when it is powered by a 5V source?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.