Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trouble with unwanted B-mode oscillation in OCXO using SC-cut crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrea_mori

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building an emitter coupled oscillator (schematic: OCXO_56448_II.jpg) using an SC-Cut 3rd overtone crystal at 5.6448 MHz that has the following specs:
ESR:100 ohm
C0:3.72pF
Cl:0.122fF
Q:2.3M

While a simple capacitor (C3 in the schematic) is able to suppress the unwanted B-mode oscillation for all the crystals I have tested from 11 up to 49 MHz, with the above crystal the oscillator starts anyway at around 6.13 MHz instead of 5.6448 MHz.
I suspect that the resistance of the crystal at B-mode is lower than the ESR at C-mode.

I've tried several ways to suppress the B-mode oscillation without success (attached). All the attached schematics seems to work correctly in simulation but don't work in the real world (X2 emulates the B-mode of the crystal).

Any idea about a more efficient way to suppress the unwanted oscillation at B-mode?

Thank you in advance
OCXO_56448_II.jpgOCXO_56448_III.jpgOCXO_56448_Schematic.jpg

The best way to compensate b-mode in your case is first to change your oscillator type, from Vackar what it is now, to Colpitts or Pierce.
Then compensate one of the feedback capacitors to be inductive at the frequency of the unwanted mode.

Rather than a Vackar it's a simplified Driscoll oscillator.

Anyway, for some reason, changing the oscillator circuit is not an option.

Any idea about a trap to suppress the unwanted mode?

Attachments

• Emitter_Coupled_Crystal_Oscillator_Circuits_Krieger_Matthys.pdf
    143.6 KB · Views: 158

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back