Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Trouble Shooting Phase detector based on AD630

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am working to create a phase comparator using the AD630. The datasheet provides a circuit diagram on how to setup the AD630 as such. However, as I was working my way though my first experiment, I ran into some issues I couldn't quite solve on my own.
Picture1.png
Picture3.png

Above is the circuit diagram I am using. It's straight from the datasheet (page 16), expect I am using Amp A instead of amp B. The two inputs are the same frequency, however, the phase of channel 2 can be varied 180 degrees. The photo of the oscilloscope above displays the output from the phase comparator using this setup. Unless my understanding of phase detectors is wrong, the output is failing to switch on any of the reference's edges. If I vary the phase of the reference; the output simply tracks the input and maintains that 50% duty cycle with only negative pulses. Hope that makes sense.
Picture2.png
Picture4.png

After trying a lot of different things, somehow I managed to get what I think is a correct phase comparator output. The only change to the circuit was removing the ground reference from the SELB comparator, and adding the shunt 10K resistor between the input and SELB. Now the output trace switches at every refence and input edge. If I vary they phase of the reference, the duty cycles of the positive and negative pulses are determined by the phase offset.
I have no clue why that worked, or if that is even a good solution to the problem. Perhaps its a result of using a breadboard and the fact the datasheet stresses star ground connections? Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this worked and if this solution might cause problems down the line? Bonus question: if this circuit were to be create on a PCB, would a continuous ground plane count as a star ground connection?
board2.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any more context. Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Sami

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 93

The fault with the first setup is that it doesn't provide a bipolar input to the comparator. You see that 0 V input is an undefined state, it makes the modulator switch somewhere after the reference edge. A positive DC voltage at SELB would be the correct solution for an unipolar input signal. Tying it to the other signal only works by chance.

Hawaslsh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Tying it to the other signal only works by chance.

Figured as much. A positive voltage on the SELB pin worked as expected. Can the same be accomplished by simply AC coupling the reference to the REFA comparator while keeping REFB grounded? It seemed to work, but I want to make sure it wasn't a coincidence again.

Thanks,
Sami

bias resistor to ground.

Do you mean a shunt resistor on the AD630 compotator side to bleed off charge? Or the resistor on the function generator side as a load?
Capture.PNG

Thanks again for all the help and time!
Sami

There must be a DC path for SELA input current.

Hawaslsh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.