Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transpose of Matrix Product - Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I guess the transpose of product property is only for square matrix when rows and columns are equal in A and B. For example 2 x 2 and 3 x 3 Matrix. I think this is not true otherwise when A is 2 x 3 and B is 3 x 2. Can someone confirm this please ?

(AB)⊺=B⊺A⊺

No it's always true.
If we have two matrix A with indexes i=1..m, k=1..p and B with indexes k=1..p, j=1..n
the transpose of the product is given by:

\[{[AB]}^{T}\]=\[\sum_{k = 1}^p\]A(i,k)B(k,j)

we can commutate A(i,k) and B(k,j) that is:

\[{[AB]}^{T}\]=\[\sum_{k = 1}^p\]B(k,j)A(i,k)

remembering now that \[{A(i,k)}^{T}\]=A(k,i), by definition of transpose we can write:

\[{[AB]}^{T}\]=\[\sum_{k = 1}^p\]\[{B(j,k)}^{T}\]\[{A(k,i)}^{T}\]

Hi,

If there are two Matrix with dimension A (2 x 3 ) and B (3 x 2). The product will be of size (2 x 2). The transpose will also be of dimension (2x2). This will be the left hand side of (AB)⊺=B⊺A⊺

Solving for right hand side, if I take transpose of A and B then the dimension of resultant matrix will be AT (3 x 2) and BT (2 x 3). The product of them will be of dimension (3 x 3). How this will be equal to the left hand side ?

What you say is not correct: AT(3x2) and BT(2x3), then BT(2x3)*AT(3x2) = Matrix (2x2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back