Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traceroute for IP/ HTTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

azfar-adib

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

I am just trying to find out,that for a particular ISP,during end-to-end data transfer, what is the processing time or transmission time for a particular hop while the packet moves from one hop to the next hop.

I have made some analysis using the tracert command,However, Tracert sends out an ICMP echo packet to the named destination host .
Will anyone please tell:

1. Is it possible to perform the tracert function for HTTP traffic through any method/tool?

2. As we know ,Tracert sends out an ICMP echo packet to the named destination host . First packet is sent with a TTL of 1, next one with a TTL of 2, then 3,thus increasing TTL by 1 in each step , so that in every step the packet reaches an additional hop. The time (displayed in milliseconds ) in Tracert result is the round-trip time (RTT) that it took to send the ICMP packet and to get the ICMP reply packet from a particular hop. However,in the tracert results,it is often observed that average RTT value for a hop is often less than itz previous hop.That basically indicates that the packet has gone through more hops taking less time. What is the interpretation of this sort of output?

3. I have downloaded some freeware from net (TCP Traceroute) and tried to perform a TCP trace using it.However,using this software UDP trace can be made,but whily trying to made TCP trace ,data sending failed and error 10004 is displayed (possibly a problem occcuring due to Windows firewall restriction). How this can be solved?

I shall be very grateful if anyone can provide any clue to any of these queries.Thanks in advance

Azfar Adib

Status
Not open for further replies.