Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

touching tube grid starts oscillation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello I am making this https://dl3jin.de/tx_1x_1sh29b-data/tx_1x_1sh29b.gif the third schematic

Oscillation starts ONLY when I touch the grid with my finger.
What could be the problem?

- - - Updated - - -

hello I am making this https://dl3jin.de/tx_1x_1sh29b-data/tx_1x_1sh29b.gif the third schematic

Oscillation starts ONLY when I touch the grid with my finger.
What could be the problem?

Hm, that is strange, I connected the grid with the transformer case (shield) and oscillator now starts. Why does it happen?

I would suggest that you use "B" version of the schematics. Crystal-controlled oscillators are designed mostly with triodes which offer the Miller plate-grid capacitance feedback, needed to oscillate. If you use a pentode (versions A and C), there is no feedback and the oscillator can get some if you touch the grid with your finger.
You can try another schematic, with the quartz connected between plate and grid. In this case, make sure you apply a low plate voltage, I think the oscillator can run on 30-50V DC plate voltage. Tiny quartz resonators can be damaged by a high RF current.
Nowadays, vacuum tubes are no more used as good quartz-controlled oscillators. Transistors are better, and quartz crystals are more stable with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, not all quartz crystals are good for this oscillator. Some would not start at all. Try another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back