Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TL074 Amplifier output protection mod with SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvador12

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

So I have taken a existing schematic that I have built already and it works and I decided to modify it for some of the higher power amplifiers that I have because they have DC rails exceeding +-80VDC and I thought that in case of a DC fault in the output the mechanical relay might weld short circuited and so the speakers would get damaged. So I approached the idea of using a solid state relay made from bidirectional MOSFET switches, I replaced the original relay in the schematic with the mosfet's and I plan to use a recently developed MOSFET driver exactly made for this purpose, an IC namely Si8752. It is isolated of course and works based on RF power transfer within the chip instead of the more traditional optocoupler/photovoltaic IC's which are slower to charge and discharge the gate capacitance.

I also added a varistor in the output or one can use a TVS diode or other means to short the output + to GND after the MOSFET switch has disconnected the amplifier output in case of DC fault because due to various filters coils there is expected to be a inductive spike of voltage across the speaker terminals which needs to be dissipated safely in order not to cause breakdown within the MOSFETS by exceeding their safe Uds.

What do you think , can this circuit perform as expected?
I am planning to build one.
Stereo protection MOSFET output with fan,.jpg

You didn't mention used MOSFET type.
I haven't yet settled on a specific MOSFET just laying out the overall schematic modification plan. But For this application I suspect many different MOSFET'S will be fine, all that is needed is sufficient Amp rating, Uds breakdown voltage but given they come in series that will be doubled and low Rds ON.

Then of course I am also thinking of the functionality of a simple inductive spike protection system that can arise with interrupted DC in the output, which is the reason for the varistor , possibly multiple varistors in parallel so they can handle the current more effectively. Or other means , anyway please comment with suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back