Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Third Order PLL Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

scr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
deansbook_4_01.pdf

Hi,

As you can see this is my first post to this forum. I am looking for a good analysis , transient and frequency, for a third-order PLL. All the references approximate the Ripple cap (C2) and reduce the loop to a second order. Can anyone direct me to a good resourse.

Regards,
SCR

Hi, scr,

The Ripple cap (C2) usually 10 times smaller than the main capacitor. That's why you can use the 2-order analysis. But if you want to add it, you can just follow derivation in the analog design textbook such as from Razavi, and in between you add the ripple capacitor value. It should not be difficult for you.

Raymond

Another suggestion would be to take a look at some nonlinear control systems book that describes and provides some third order settling characteristics. (if you want pure analysis)

Dorf/Bishop is about Linear control systems and is the basics.
The one by Norman Nise would be a good place to start.

You also want to check out control system books by Katsuhiko Ogata.

I would suggest that you try Mathematica's(version 5.0) symbolic capability to take the pain out of long derivations.

hi, I think you can download a software from NS, which is
used to calculate resistor and caps for the loop. Additionally,
there is a good book:

www.national.com/appinfo/ wireless/files/DeansBook_4_01.pdf

may you find them!

Status
Not open for further replies.