Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

thinking more on current mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychang

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know it sounds like basic stuff, but is only the W/L ratio that determines the current gain or the absolute value of the W and L also matters? Let's say in a current mirror you have W/L=3/0.5 in the reference branch and W/L=2*3/1 in the mirror branch. Is it true that Imir=Iref? I thought it would be true but my simulation didn't...

Hi
lambda is inversely proportional to L.
So it is one of the reasons of deference.
regards

I agree with you. But the thing is the difference I saw is over 25% (256uA in the reference branch and only 200uA in the mirror branch). I was kind of surprised that the channel length modulation can make such a big difference and wondering if there is something else.

You need to take into account lateral diffusion length.
That is, the real L and drawing L is different.

It also depends if your simulation is prelayout or post layout . The post layout netlists also model lateral stress and scattering effects causing further mismatch.

Please use a small iref current (to 2.56uA) and do the simulation again. Do you get the same amount of variation that is over 25%. Thanks.

Try to use larger values of L in current mirrors, use 3 times the minimum value. Also take care of LOD and try using spares.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back