Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermistor Beta values

Status
Not open for further replies.

spannerz

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking at replacing a thermistor, but I'm no electronics expert, and don't know enough about the specifications of such items.

The part I'm replacing is a fuel level sensor in a vehicle petrol tank.

The original part is no longer made or stocked, but I've discovered that a 1K thermistor, part # RL2004-582-97-K can be used in place of the original. The Beta value is 3972

I've found other 1K thermistors with different Beta values, such as 3800, which are more readily available in a small quantity.

How important is the Beta value when used in this context?

Thanks for any info.

Hi spannerz,

the beta value determines the slope of the R=f(T) characteristics. (T=temperature of the element).
As the difference between both values (3800 vs. 3972) is small I expect no problems with beta=3800.
Note: typically, beta values are in the range 2900...5000.

In the end, I went for ND03J00102K [NTC, 1K, 3.5MM Body diameter, 3480K Beta Value] from RS online. Stock # 697-4455

Just over a year on, and it's still working OK. The low fuel level warning light on the dashboard isn't quite as bright as it was originally, but it does the job.

I hope this info is of use to others with a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.