Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The programming differences between transflective and reflective polarized GLCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarasi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys

i have simple question for those who used graphic LCD!
i want to program PIC to display real time analog signal on GLCD!
i found two types of polarzed type GLCD, transflective and reflective!

can i use anyone of them? in other word, is there any limitation of using any one of them that might affect the displayed signal?

in term of programming, is there any difference when i program either one of them? i mean if i program the PIC to display the signal on transflective GLCD, can i use the reflective GLCD to display the signal with same program?

sorry i know it seems silly question but it's first time for me to use GLCD!!

thank you

Re: GLCD types

Hi,

A Reflective display relies on the room light refelecting off the display to produce viewable digits.

A Transreflective does the same, but when the room light becomes too dim to give a usable display the backlight comes into play and produces enough illumination to give a good display.

Niether has any affect on the programming of the glcd.

You need to consider what type and size of display you are going to use.
128x64 is a popular beginner size, but you have to be aware of what controller chip the display is using as your programming must match it.

You need to look around for some ready made code, in whatever micro chip and language you are using as they are not a beginners program if you are trying to do them from scratch.

thank you wp100 for your help!

that's exactly what i wanna do now, i wanna use ready made code so that i learn from it as a beginner!

one more thing,
in a project i have seen, they used AGM1264f glcd model, i didn't find that model in my area! i have jhd 12864e model, both are 128*64 pixel and both use ks0108 controller! but i don't know if i can use the jhd 12864e instead of the agm1264f?

attaced are the datasheet for both types, can u check and let me know?
thank you

Hi,

Yes they do seem to be identical devices.

There is a lot of code out there for them as well as they have been around for a long time.

You do not say what micro pic or atmel , or code Assembler or C etc you are using ?

Be aware that although you can probably hook up one of these and use someone elses code to display things, they are not the easiest of things to use - particularly for a beginner.

That old fashioned type of display does have some drawbacks, it uses a load of i/o ports for its parallel interface, it uses 2 internal controlllers, one for each half of the screen so addressing the full screen is a long routine.

More modern displays use SPI interfaces and just one controller.

Without sounding too pessimistic, if you want to add in your own code to display wave forms you might find that very difficult as a beginner.

GLCD types

i'm using PIC18F2550 with C language , i want to make a glcd oscilloscope project! i know it's difficult for me but i found code online and i want to try it then learn from it! i have a project must be done which about displaying heart sound signals on GLCD! that's why i want to try online code and see how it works so that later on i can design mine!

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.