Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The function and connection of LM386

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do anyone know the function of LM386?
Besides that, how is the connection for LM386 with other components in a circuit?
Thanks.

Re: Connection for LM386

It is a low voltage audio power amplifier. It is conveniently connected to other components in a circuit. It does not automatically gets connected to any other circuit instantly therefore it depends on how one uses it.

Last edited:
Re: Connection for LM386

I wanna connect it after the DAC 0800 and before the LMH6321. How should i connect it?
Is there any difference between this two case of connections as below for LM386?
a. pin2(inverting input) is ground
b. pin2(inverting input) is connected to pin5(output)

I'm pretty sure the LM386 is the wrong kind of amplifier for your application. It's designed for low power audio applications, driving loudspeakers or headphones. Using it to amplify a signal to a high speed buffer is not using it in the way the manufacturer intended. You also can't make it into a unity gain amplifier by shorting it's output pin to its input, the internal biasing will not work if you do that.

It sounds like a high speed op-amp is what you really need.

Brian.

I'm pretty sure the LM386 is the wrong kind of amplifier for your application. It's designed for low power audio applications, driving loudspeakers or headphones. Using it to amplify a signal to a high speed buffer is not using it in the way the manufacturer intended. You also can't make it into a unity gain amplifier by shorting it's output pin to its input, the internal biasing will not work if you do that.

It sounds like a high speed op-amp is what you really need.

Brian.

What is the function of a high speed op-amp? Is it same as the high speed current buffer?

Basically yes. A buffer is an amplifier with a gain of 1, in other words the same comes out as goes in but isolation between the signals is achieved. Probably the most common use for them is to boost the available current from a 'weak' signal so it can drive a heavier load.

I'm not sure you really need to buffer your signal at all, the LMH6321 has a high input impedance which will not significantly load the output of a DAC0800. If you really need to amplify the DAC output first, a small signal op-amp would be more appropriate than an LM386. The DAC0800 isn't a particularly fast device so there is no point in following it with super fast amplifier/buffer stages.

Brian.

Basically yes. A buffer is an amplifier with a gain of 1, in other words the same comes out as goes in but isolation between the signals is achieved. Probably the most common use for them is to boost the available current from a 'weak' signal so it can drive a heavier load.

I'm not sure you really need to buffer your signal at all, the LMH6321 has a high input impedance which will not significantly load the output of a DAC0800. If you really need to amplify the DAC output first, a small signal op-amp would be more appropriate than an LM386. The DAC0800 isn't a particularly fast device so there is no point in following it with super fast amplifier/buffer stages.

Brian.

I have connected the DAC0800, but i cannot work. May i know why?
DAC0800_cant.png

I think your problem is because the DAC0800 is a current output device but you are trying to measure a differential voltage from it. If you refer to the data sheet it shows you how to connect current sources to the output pins. You can still use differential measurment if you like but it would probably be easier to just use one of the outputs and provide gain from a normal op-amp configuration.

Brian.

Please see this link **broken link removed** on google.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back