Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The best OS for Toshiba T2130cs laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

unlving

The best distribution

I am still using W*i*n*d*o*w*s but i want to change that! What is the best distribution? (Grafical, perfomance, etc).

I need a distribution of linux to run on t*o*s*h*i*b*a t2130cs laptop (75MHz, 8mb Ram, Imb Video (Chips & tech), 10" 256 color lcd screen)
I don't know anything about l*i*n*u*x so I hope that a moderator could edit my thread and add a poll

Re: The best distribution

IMHO This laptop will have difficulties running graphic mode of recent linux distro's.

If you want to use it in command line mode then I would go for a slackware older distro's [with a kernel like 2.2 series] that can be installed from floppies. Some graphic is available but nothing fancy.

Problem is that you have no experience with linux.
If you have some experience with Unix and you are not afraid of command line then this can be fun.
Otherwise I doubt that you'll fine a distro to run reasonably fast to do anything useful on that H/W.

Just my 2c.

I used Centrino 1.4 Note PC as windows XP Pro and Redhat Core 1.0 using
Micorsoft Virtual PC. Performance of Linux is better than of windows I think.

Cache memory is more important thing that you consider. Centrino has 1 MB L2 Cache. I recommend you can use Centrino note PC.

The best distribution

Debain is a good linux distribution

Debian or Slack IMO

I use Mandrake 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, 8.2, and now 9.1.

Especially those versions with the "broken" gcc-2.96 sucked big-time.

For developers, the distribution is not that important, but the native and cross- toolchains are.

GCC versions 2.6.3, 2.7.2, 2.8.1, 2.95.3 (the best), 3.2.x are what you should be looking for in your distributions.

Anyway, Debian sounds good, Redhat so-so, Mandrake not very stable, Slackware gains user-ground, SuSe is preferred in Europe.

the_penetrator©

The best distribution

I think the best distribution is Slackware
I am using Slackware version 10.0
I have tried many distros Redhat, Gentoo, Knoppix, Slax but I only feel 'home' with Slackware

The best distribution

With this box, I think you will struggle a lot. Better to change to a more recent one, even the 2nd hand box will do good.

it's not easy to find a distribution because the driver for such old equipment maybe can not find

try a really old distribution or try just a text install with a modern distro,, dont try any new distros with a graphical interface otherwise it will just ground to a halt,,

The Lycoris is the best easy use Linux distribution. The rlnethood allow you to access the Windows netwoork by use GUI. It organizes the Linux application based on the catelog and remove the redundant Linux application. The control center has the similar function as MS windows. I tried RedHat, Suse. They cannot match the function of the Lycoris. The Mentor ICFlow, Cadence IC5.0 and SPW were installed without problem.

Use RedHat 6.1 . I am runing that OS in my old Toshiba laptop, and it's great !

I suggest you to use a "Live" version before installing a complete linux system.

I have tried , and I can recommend you, two differents distributions, but based on the same roots: "KNOPPIX" and "MEPIS"

They are based upon a DEBIAN distribution, which is a bit hard to set up, but the autors make a great work to simplify and evaluate it!

You can download from knopper.net or mepis.com, and after you have burned your cd (a single cd, but with very many packages installed and running, like OpenOffice, mozilla, and very many others), you can try them without installing a single bit on your Hdd! You'll have a COMPLETE linux system up and running in a few seconds!!!

I know that exists also a SUSE live version, but I never tried it.

Ah, If you try them and you see that you like it, you can also install them on your hdd!, it's simple, you click on the icon "install to hdd" on the linux desktop 8)
Of course all of this live version are graphic !

HTH Sirio.

Status
Not open for further replies.