Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

testing SIM900 in breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

emaro

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,
SIM900 is a GSM/GPRS module. it is small with about 5cm/5cm dimensions and it has about 60 pins. i'm wondering if it is possible to test it in a breadboard before making a PCB ?
thank you

Of course, its possible, you can make PCB. Use toner transfer method, its cheap and fast method.
When I want to test some project I always make correct PCB, and final design of PCB have some improvements.

I dont suggest direct soldering of wires on small pins. You can make PCB only for SIM900.

how to test the sim900 in breadboard ? the pins are too close, how can i connect wires to pins ?

how to test the sim900 in breadboard ? the pins are too close, how can i connect wires to pins ?

No I dont suggest wires to module pins soldering. Make or buy PCB adapter board. Its small PCB where you can solder module, and over pinheads you connect PCB to testboard or solder wires.

i'm making it in ARES, thank you :)

Of course, its possible, you can make PCB. Use toner transfer method, its cheap and fast method.
When I want to test some project I always make correct PCB, and final design of PCB have some improvements.

I dont suggest direct soldering of wires on small pins. You can make PCB only for SIM900.

Hi

I solder SIM900 with PCB and now i am trying to test the connection with breadboard. I am able to switch on the netlight after pushdown the pwr_key button.
But it's frequency of blink never come down.(it is not able to find network)

I think there is some issue in connection of SIM_HOLDER with SIM900A.
I followed https://www.open-electronics.org/small-breakout-for-sim900-gsm-module/

I have not used : Electro-static discharge device ONS EMI SMF05C.

Please let me know where i made wrong connection.
(for bread board connection i am using SIM900A instead of SIM900 for my testing)
Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi

I solder SIM900 with PCB and now i am trying to test the connection with breadboard. I am able to switch on the netlight after pushdown the pwr_key button.
But it's frequency of blink never come down.(it is not able to find network)

I think there is some issue in connection of SIM_HOLDER with SIM900A.
I followed https://www.open-electronics.org/small-breakout-for-sim900-gsm-module/

I have not used : Electro-static discharge device ONS EMI SMF05C.

Please let me know where i made wrong connection.
(for bread board connection i am using SIM900A instead of SIM900 for my testing)
Thanks in advance.

SIM900 and SIMCARD_HOLDER both are on two different PCB.

set your digital multimeter on diode check mode & connect Red probe to sim holders GND(pin5)
touch black probe to holders other pins one by one it will have to show
reading 700 to 900 on meter if not there is mistake in connection

also check shorting simcard holders pins on module side

sim900A shows same reading with other pins expect Gnd,Power,Ant.with this method
Use R1,R2,R3 100 Ohms R4 4K7,C1 100n.

Use 10to15 turn3-4mm spacing wire wound on pencil(remove pencil after winding) for antenna. antenna must have to connected &erected vertically

I have to see your PCB footprint for more Details I uses proteus ARES too

Status
Not open for further replies.