Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TDR options for HP/Agilent VNAs - is it hardware or software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkirkby

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking to buy a used HP/Agilent VNA. My initial interst is in antennas, but expect to extend that to filters later.

A TDR is not high on my priority list, but it is something I can see I might want occasionally. I notice this is an optional extra for many HP/Agilent VNAs. Is this extra hardware fitted, or just software?

I can't help thinking that in principle at least, a time-domain response is just the FFT of the frequency domain response. So if I occasionally wanted the TDR facility, it would just be a case of writing a bit of software to do an FFT on the frequency spectrum.

Or am I missing something, and the TDR options give something worthwhile, that can't be done in software?

Dave

It is handy as it is almost real time TDR, whereas if you download the S2P files and do the computations offline it takes time and is a lot less useful! I believe the TDR option is purely in the software. They just turn it on with a software key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back