Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synthesizeable verilog code

Status
Not open for further replies.

siva_7517

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi ,
I am tyring to write a code for floating point in verilog, but facing a problem when synthesis. The multiplication is:

data_out = 0.707 x data_in

My coding is written below:

module multiply (data_in, clk, data_out);
input [7:0] data_in;
input clk;
output [7:0] data_out;
reg [7:0] data_out;
reg [9:0] state1;
reg [14:0] temp;

parameter state1 = 10'b 1010011011;

always (@posedge clk)
begin
temp <= data_in * state1;
data_out <= temp << 10;
end
endmodule

Plz correct me if there is error in my coding.
Thanx

Code looks perfect to me.
What error are you getting and what synthesizer are you using?

hi,

I am using PKS from cadence to do the synthesis process. After build generic from the RTL coding there is no connection from data_in (open circuit).

siva

Shifting 10 bits and then fitting the result into 8 bits will always produce 0. The assignment to data_out may be optimized to always produce 0.

yes, data_out is always zero and has nothing to do with data_in,the always block is a false path.synthesis tool maybe optimize data_in to no connection,and data_out to ground

i think there were some problems..
a) state1 = 10'b1010011011 , the decimal value is not 0.707 but 0.6514.
b) "always(@posedge clk)" may be always@(posedge clk).
c) the left shifting may be right shifting ,because the state1 value is assumed as multiply 1024 ,so if u want get original 0.707, data_out should be got by right shifting temp.Besides, the width of temp would be [17:0] ,just equal data_in'width add state1'width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back