Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synthes a circuit using an s-parameter characteristic

Alipoursaadaty

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I wanted to apply the bond wire effect on my designed amplifier and to do this, I used HFSS to model the wire bond and used the s2p export file to apply in the circuit schematic at Cadence. Now, I want to know the exact value of the caps, inductor, and resistor in the bond wire. Would you please let me know how I can find the amount of these passive components in my circuit? I want to find the synthesis of the bond wire using its s-parameters.

Regards,

SWB.jpg
DWB.jpg

You can use s-parameters directly or you can also use ADS Broadband SPICE Model generator to synthesize an equivalent circuit. But this synthesized circuit may be complex and create some convergence problems while simulating the circuit in especially transient mode.
I would use s-parameters directly since these convergence problems don't occur.

You can use s-parameters directly or you can also use ADS Broadband SPICE Model generator to synthesize an equivalent circuit. But this synthesized circuit may be complex and create some convergence problems while simulating the circuit in especially transient mode.
I would use s-parameters directly since these convergence problems don't occur.
Thank you for your response.

I used its s-parameter file (s2p) directly in the Cadence. I just want to have an overview of its equivalent model to find out how much inductor, resistor, and capacitor it adds to the circuit.

Regards,

Thank you for your response.

I used its s-parameter file (s2p) directly in the Cadence. I just want to have an overview of its equivalent model to find out how much inductor, resistor, and capacitor it adds to the circuit.

Regards,
That's why I'm saying this is not easy. In fact, finding an equivalent circuit from a given s-parameters set is not easy task. Due to their discrete nature, finding a appropriate circuit may always not be practical or trouble-free.
I saw some academical works on internet about extraction such circuits but I'm not sure they are practical or applicable.
--- Updated ---

Additionally, s-parameters don't cover DC and you need to flow DC current for supplying the circuit.
All you can do is to simulate your bonding structure with finest frequency steps to avoid having an convergence errors.

Last edited:
Hi,

I used to do this to my power nets. First I go to ADS to find a bond-wire model that matches my package company's implementation and setup all the parameters I know.
Then simulate the s-parameter of the bond-wire model in your setup. Next, you go to IEEE to find a paper that gives the equation of extracting R C L G of a transmission-line model and then use that model's equation to calculate your R C L G. The equation might be complicated.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back