Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Syntax of power pad master file in IC Compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgbackup

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
top pad master

I'm trying to do design planning on a simple design using IC Compiler. However, I'm getting errors that I have no power/ground pads at the top level. These need to be supplied using a file. I'm using the synopsys reference methodology scripts and it has the following comments:

# To run it on a block without existing PG pins, you can use following commands before analyze_fp_rail
# create_fp_virtual_pad -load_file pna_output/strap_end.VDD.vpad (VDD is your power net name)
# create_fp_virtual_pad -load_file pna_output/strap_end.VSS.vpad (VSS is your ground net name
# then add the following option to analyze_fp_rail
# -use_pins_as_pads
# To run it on top level with existing power pads, you can use one of the following options
# -pad_masters $PNS_PAD_MASTERS (specify pad cell masters) or
# -read_pad_master_file $PNS_PAD_MASTER_FILE (specify a file with pad cell masters) or
# -read_pad_instance_file $PNS_PAD_INSTANCE_FILE (specify a file with pad cell instances)
# To run it on top level without existing power pads, you cna use following commands before analyze_fp_rail
# create_fp_virtual_pad -load_file pna_output/strap_end.VDD.vpad (VDD is your power net name)
# create_fp_virtual_pad -load_file pna_output/strap_end.VSS.vpad (VSS is your ground net name
# To simulate standard cell rail during PNA, you can use the following option
# -create_virtual_rails $PNS_VIRTUAL_RAIL_LAYER
# To use more accurate power consumption of each instance calculated in ICC, you can use the following option
# -analyze_power

Can someone tell me what the syntax of the PNS_PAD_MASTER_FILE or INSTANCE_FILE looks like? Any examples?

Atlternately, what is strap_end.VDD.vpad? What commands do I put inside this file? I'm searching the docs but I'm not getting anywhere. Thanks for any ideas.

Hey,

I think this Power Network Analysis is done after Power Network Synthesis, which means that ICC's already generated the relevant two files "pna_output/strap_end.VDD.vpad" and "pna_output/strap_end.VSS.vpad".

The path "pna_output/" is the generated path after PNS.

In your case, during PNS, please check "Use strap ends as pads".

Added after 2 minutes:

Hi again

Additionally, could you share a copy of your reference methodology with me? Thanks!

xuzule@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back