Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switchmode dc-dc converter, input capacitor questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cages

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a high current DC-DC convert and from the equations on the data sheet.
I have calculated input capacitor of about 200uF

and the RMS current that will flow through the input capacitors will be 5A.

without going into too much information
if I choose to use 15uF ceramic that has a ripplle current rating of about 6A and get the rest of the capacitance from a aluminum electrolitic capacitor with ripple current rating of 0.5A will most of the current flow through the ceramic capacitors.

Are there any problems with this solution.

Thanks Cages.

Simply put no. Heres why.

i(t) = C dv/dt v(t)

I dont know what your rail voltage is or frequency is but plug your variables into that equation and you'll find out how much current goes into your Caps.

Hi,

max0412 is correct don't do it. Current will be distributed based on the capacitance network and the energy stored in each cap.

regards

dfullmer

the ceramic capacitor may help you only for a short transient peroid at the instant of switching, but it will not help you any further.max0412 is right.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.
I have come back to this problem after taking a break over the holiday's :)

The DC-DC buck converter operates at 200khz
Input voltage is 40V output Voltage is 5V supplly max 10A.

As I stated in the original question I need a total 200uF min capacitace with rms current 5A as the input capcitor.
I am not able to find any suitable capacitors without either using a lot of capacitors or a really big and expensive capacitor.
both solutions are costly and will take up space on my design.
If any one could sugest suitable capacitors.
Or am I missing something in the data sheet that will make the selection a lot more straight forward.

thanks,
Cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.