Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching a 10kV/100mA load in less than 10 microseconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodokus

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to switch a 10kV/100mA load in less than 10 microseconds.
Can I use mosfets in series? If yes, how do I drive the gates?
Any literature on this subject?

Re: High voltage switch

Hello,

I have been able to do what you are suggesting with FETs at about 6KV. Not sure of the exact switching time but it did not lag as I remember. I used pulse transformers to drive the gates and yes, several FETs in series. The other concern I needed to keep in mined as I did this was the avalanch energy that each of the devices could withstand as each cascaded to the next during over voltage conditions on each device. You are certainly not going to be able to switch that quickly with a mechanical device Like Kilovac or (what are they called now gigavac). Anyway yes it can be done. I had a difficult time finding data on this application also. I will look through my notes and write back if I see anything that looks helpful.

good luck

dfullmer

I have found articles that use gate transformers but I don't need isolation and I want to do static switching (not pulses with limited turnon time). If you have any documents I will appreciate it.

Hello jodokus,

The pulse transformers I were in fact for isolation but my turn on time was continuous. I accomplished this by sending a high frequency of pulses through the pulse transformers and rectifying them onto each gate with some minor capacitance at each gate to hold the charge until the next pulse came along to reinforce the voltage. Not a single pulse turn on but a train of pulses that kept the fets on continuously.

Regards

dfullmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back