Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch frequency issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroxX

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to decide the switch frequency on a DC motor on a small robot.

The switch frequency should be higher than 1kHz as the robots speed regulator with a cascaded average current regulator is designed to work at a sampling rate of 1 kHz and therefore at least one whole PWM period should be averaged between each iteration.

The upper limit seems trickier. I thought that having a switching period a lot shorter than the motors L/R time constant would drive the current low, as the motor wouldn't get the time to build up a significant current.

However after playing around a little bit with paper and pen and the laplace transform with initial values I understand that there will be some sort of accumulation of current between each switch period.

Before spending too much time perhaps walking in the wrong direction, I ask if there is some simple analytical expression that can be used to calculate the average motor current related to L/R, the switch frequency and the duty cycle or do I need to simulate/try out this?

Tips about publications regarding this is appreciated.

If the robot already has a speed regulator, then this is the way to control its speed. What do you hope to achieve by feeding the controller with PWM? In general most, non low-inertia motors have sufficient mechanical inertia with their added L/R time constant that they will appear to run properly at any PWM frequency over a few hundred hertz. The switching frequency once over the lower limit, can be anything,limited only by the switching losses and radiation problems. The motor speed is governed by the mark/space ratio of the PWM not its frequency.
Frank

I want the current regulator cascaded with the speed controller. This is a common way to improve DC motor speed controller performance, as it helps removing disturbances in the fast electric circuit before it these affect the slower speed control loop. Also it's a linearisation of the very non linear PWM-actuator and will make the speed controller behave more equally regardless of what power source is used.

More on cascade control:
https://blog.opticontrols.com/archives/105

Anyhow, back to the switch frequency issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.