Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stuck in the wrong job . Please help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

munis

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm a Pakistani computer engineering graduate , I have always been interested in FPGAs and VHDL , but the problem is that I was not able to find a FPGA-related job here in my country . Currently I'm working as a programmer at a software consultancy firm . Its almost 9 months now, I feel that I'm doing the wrong job since it involves software . I have also applied for masters in the mean time . I wanted to know if there is some way I can freelance for FPGA projects ? What skills i would need ? Would would do you suggest ? I want to gain maximum knowledge in my free time about industrial/commercial FPGA development

Thanks in Advance

munis,
You could aquire a FPGA development board, Xilinx and associates offer many different platforms. Some of them are very cheep when you look at how much you can learn from them. By getting one of these development systems, you get all the tools you need to implement designs. Pick some challenging projects and learn. Once you get some skills you can freelance or get a job more easily. As for your current software efforts, believe me, you will benifit from this time. FPGA and ASIC design is software. Most of your software skills will help you to do better designs. All you have to do is learn the HDL of choice, which is slightly different from regular software.

Hope that helps
Sckoarn

Thank you for your encouraging reply Sckoarn ,

Actually I was thinking to buy a Xilinx Spartan kit , its quite cheap . I also have some university experience with VHDL , for instance I designed a VERY basic processor and few things with a VHDL simulator . I also used Xilinx ISE for another project that could not be completed . Its been some time I think I need to pick up some books and what I think really need to do is to start making small designs . Any idea where I can that sort of help ? Like what should I start off with ?

munis,
Getting the Spartan kit will be a good start. That in itself is a bit of a project to get up and going. Once you have it, you spent the cash, you will use it for ... building a better processor for instance. If you are a math head, you might try implementing some DSP stuff. It all depends on where in the FPGA design field you want to be. Create designs in the area you want to work. Searching the web and posting questions here will help you to keep moving on stuff.

Sckoarn

Status
Not open for further replies.