Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ARM] STM32F401RE development board target not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heena09

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I am using STM32F401RE development board with STM32Cube IDE and Keli V5. I was able to program the board previously; but all of a sudden it shows "target not found" in both IDEs. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

This rather sounds like a hardware problem, but you tell us about the PC software.

So my first question is: What communication interface (UART, USB, ISP, JTAG...) do you use with the STM32 and what programmer do you use.

Klaus

I was able to program the board previously;
Did you enable serial wire debug (SWD) pins while programming for the first time. 90% people have done this mistake and debugger cannot communicate with Controller. There are several ways to recover based on which pins are available to you. First of all try Easy method. Choose STMCubeProgrammer Software and select Connect under reset. If doesnot work... tell us more

Hello!

Just a blind guess: on ST boards, there are jumpers allowing to connect to the board or to program another board if you use the 6~7 pins line of connectors. I guess you may have removed the jumpers and forgot you removed them.

Dora.

Hello!

Just a blind guess: on ST boards, there are jumpers allowing to connect to the board or to program another board if you use the 6~7 pins line of connectors. I guess you may have removed the jumpers and forgot you removed them.

Dora.
hello!

I checked the jumper position .Its fine for on board ST-link use. But As vishwesh told me to check about SWD i already made that mistake while doing programming. Every time for new project i clear the pin configuration and forgot about SWD(JTAG ) Pins setting.

So it might be the issue but how i can able to resolve it .I checked every option and other thing is MCU's is heating very rapidly.

Choose STMCubeProgrammer Software and select Connect under reset.
Did you try connecting under reset? STm provides free utility STM32CubeProgrammer. You press and hold the reset switch on development board and click connect using Mode "Under Reset". Once you click "Connect", immediately release the reset switch on board.

This way you can connect to the controller again and flash another hex file by enabling SWD in code.
1646552617931.png

other thing is MCU's is heating very rapidly.
Sorry, this doesnot sound good. MCU heating is not normal.Its difficult to find reason as you will have sufficient protections on development board. Please see if you have made any wrong external connections on breakout pins. Usually GPIO pins of STM32 are 5V tolerant but PowerSupply pins are not. So by-mistake if 3.3V Pin is given 5V externally it might have broken MCU and you cannot recover it.

Hi,

I agree "heats up" is quite unusual.

Try to connect a 100 Ohms resistor in series with each if your programmer's signal lines (not at power supply lines).
Then measure the voltage across each resistor to find out whether there is any short circuit condition.
Usually the voltage across each resistor should be below 100mV.

Klaus

Hello Vishveshgm,

I did the same process for reset the board by using CUBE programmer but its not detected and the board is heat up very fast which is the main issue.
From this i understand that this chip on board is not working and because of that its heating up.

I am thinking to replace CHIP of 401RE with new one. Any suggestion.

I am thinking to replace CHIP of 401RE with new one.
Yea, seems like you have to do this now. I would recheck and critically analyze the connections that are made to the board before replacing MCU. It is important that you have at-least a speculation for what might have caused MCU to break beyond repair. Also please see if you are getting proper 3.3V out from the on-board regulator(I think 1117 IC is used)

Status
Not open for further replies.