Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Step-up IC suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naterg

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm in need of a step-up IC for a constant voltage power supply for a battery-operated toy I'm making. I have the following specifications. Any suggestions or even references to possible sources for assistance or reading material would be greatly appreciated.

Requirements:
1. Must be powered from 3 alkaline cells and work with input as low as 2.7V; and
2. Must be capable of supplying at least 5.0V; and
3. Must be capable of continuously supplying at least 320mA; and
4. Must be easily sourced (currently available at Mouser or Digikey or sample easily obtainable by Joe-blow tinkerer); and
5. Must have shutdown mode that can be actuated with MCU; and
6. Typical supply current in shutdown mode must not exceed 50uA

Preferences (but not absolute requirements):
7. Output 5.5V
8. Through-hole
9. The fewer the required components, the better.
10. Cheap?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thank you! I plan to give this a try.

5. Must have shutdown mode that can be actuated with MCU;

This suggests you plan to put a microcontroller onboard with a 5V supply, which is to be shut off by the microcontroller.

I have a funny question:
By any chance, is the microcontroller powered by the 5V supply? Is the microcontroller expected to turn off its own power supply? (I'm not saying this won't work.)

I guess you'll switch on the step-up converter manually?

Anyway here is a voltage doubler. It is based on stacked capacitors and an H-bridge. The load is connected across the capacitors.

It will work down to 3 V or so. Notice if you want 320 mA output at 5V, your batteries must provide around 1 A input at 3V. You may not get this from batteries which are drained to that extent.

At a supply V of 4.5V (fresh batteries), you'll get a higher output voltage. It will require some kind of feedback control.

Status
Not open for further replies.