Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stabilising Damped Oscillations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yadu

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a transducer which receives a damped oscillation pattern. For my application there is a need for me to stabilise these damped oscillation patterns so that a stable frequency can be measured out of it. Can anyone help me with this circuit?

We have to make an assumption that there is a stable frequency and only the amplitude is decaying: use a comparator with a threshold low enough to detect cycle edges near the bottom of the waveform where they are still relatively constant. Note that most frequency counters do this anyway if you set the level control low enough.

Brian.

With the yet given vague specification, I guess that either automatic gain control or a non-linear detector characteristic like log(|Vin|) could help. Both are often used in radar and sonar applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.