Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SRAM-Parallel-Async DualPort versus Standard - request for clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingDutch

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I can't find differences between two SRAM Async memories (parallel) in their interface. In FPGA IpCores "Dual Port" RAM memories has two separate address and data ports. Could somebody explain me why these two example SRAM ICs are described as "Dual Port" or not. The first SRAM IC - "IS61WV102416FBLL-10T2LI-TR-ND" is desribed on Digi-Key web page as "Dual port" - see links:

https://www.digikey.pl/product-deta...T2LI-TR/IS61WV102416FBLL-10T2LI-TR-ND/8563776

http://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/61-64WV102416FALL-BLL.pdf

The second SRAM IC - "IS61WV204816BLL-10TLI " is not described as "Dual port" - see links:

https://www.digikey.pl/products/en/...Sort=0&page=1&stock=1&datasheet=1&pageSize=25

https://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/61-64WV204816BLL.pdf

When I am looking in their datasheets I can't find differences in address and data busses (the first IC hasn't two separate addres and data ports). Could somebody explain me why this first IC is described as "Dual Port" ?

Thanks in advance and Regards

Hi,

the datasheet of IS61WV102416FBLL-10T2LI-TR-ND does not mention "dual port".
--> a digikey description mistake.

I didn´t go deeply through the datsheets. But I expect there is a difference in memory size, thus there should be a difference in address line count.

Klaus

Hi,

the datasheet of IS61WV102416FBLL-10T2LI-TR-ND does not mention "dual port".
--> a digikey description mistake.

I didn´t go deeply through the datsheets. But I expect there is a difference in memory size, thus there should be a difference in address line count.

Klaus

Hello Klaus,

It is still unclear for me. I thought that "Dual Port" interface require two separate addres and data buses in order to one can read from one addres and write for second addres in the same time. How to achieve such action with one of these memory ICs?

BTW: so as I understood you correctly - none of these memory ICs is "Dual Port". If yes could you point me real "Dual Port" memory IC (link to description)?

Best Regards

I thought that "Dual Port" interface require two separate addres and data buses in order to one can read from one addres and write for second addres in the same time.
That'show it is. The first article is a regular single port asynchronous RAM with an erroneous description in the Digikey catalog. Digikey has however a number of asynchronous and synchronous dual port RAM in the portfolio.

For your intended application (FPGA interface), it's generally simpler to use synchronous RAM. Unfortunately they are less commonly used and respectively more expensive.

Last edited:
That's how it is. The first article is a regular single port asynchronous RAM with an erroneous description in the Digikey catalog. Digikey has however a number of asynchronous and synchronous dual port RAM in the portfolio.

For your intended application (FPGA interface), it's generally simpler to use synchronous RAM. Unfortunately they are less commonly used and respectively more expensive.

Hello,

yes I found synchronous RAM in Digi-Key offer, but prices around 500$ are not for amateur circuits ;)

Could someone point me (link) real "Dual Port" example asynchronous SRAM (Parallel interface) ?

Best Regards

Hi,

you can do a selection on "SRAM-Dual port" in Digikey.
Maybe there are some description errors. But don´t focus on those 5% or so.
Focus on the devices where the first page of the datasheet says "dual port".

Klaus
--- Updated ---

Hi,
but prices around 500$ are not for amateur circuits
Dual port are expensive.
Do you really need dual port?
I've done CPLD / FPGA designs wher a ADC, a DAC and a microcontroller share the same SRAM. Fast SRAM, single port.
It´s fast enough to handle the accesses without drawback.
O.K. A bit of reading datasheets and writing CPLD/FPGA code is necessary...

Klaus

Last edited:
Hi,

Dual port are expensive.
Do you really need dual port?
I've done CPLD / FPGA designs wher a ADC, a DAC and a microcontroller share the same SRAM. Fast SRAM, single port.
It´s fast enough to handle the accesses without drawback.
O.K. A bit of reading datasheets and writing CPLD/FPGA code is necessary...

Klaus

Hi,

not, but it can help to design fast frame-buffer (min 30 fps) for full HD resolution camera (as external circuit for connection to FPGA board).

Best Regards

Hi,

OK, just an idea - don´t know if is possible...

you may use two cheap standard SRAMs. Each address bus and data bus is independently controlled by the FPGA.
So the FPGA can decide (according frame rate) to write into SRAM A... while you are able to process the data of SRAM B
for the next frame the FPGA switches the SRAMs, ..
...to write into SRAM B... while you process the data of SRAM A

Klaus

Hi, yes it is worth doing (I thought about it - I probably implement it in my second trial).

Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back