Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spartan 3e starter kit usb problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamrannkami

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
:|
hey guys i got problem with spartan 3e starter kit purchased from digilent.
it comes with only power supply and usb2 cable.
As user guide suggest that windows must detect and install the driver automatically.
but my window 7 fails to do so. Can any body give me any idea....
:!:

What Xilinx Software do you have installed?

Xilinx ISE Design Suite 10.1 or 11.x

or

Xilinx ISE Webpack 10.1 or 11.x

The USB interface on the Digilent Spartan 3E starter boards appears to Xilinx's Impact as a Xilinx USB-JTAG cable. You should be able to perform an cable autoconnect in Impact followed by a boundary scan. If I remember there are problems with 64bit Vista and ISE DS or Webpack 10.1, hence with Windows 7 64bit as well.

Added after 28 minutes:

After reading your post again, it sounds as if you have not install the Xilinx software.

Go to:

Download Xilinx's ISE Webpack 11.x

You'll need to register and create an account on the Xilinx website, before you download, it's free!

Make sure and checkout compatibility with OSs:

Compatibility Chart

You can download just the programmer section of the Xilinx ISE from their site and update that part, it will work properly with Win7,
You can also download ISE11 which is compatible with Win7 but it is pretty big.

Good luck,
/Farhad Abdolian

thanx guys for reply...
i got my problem fixed
actually its the problem with window7..
i had alredy installed ISE 8.2 and the board is working well in window xp but not in 7..

Hi All;
I also have a Digilent Spartan 3e and cannot get it to connect to either impact or to adapt... I have set the M30 jumper to USB option, instead of master/slave ... ( I have tried both ) I have Ise web 11.1 on Dvd which came with the board.... I have a liscense from Xilinx.. When the Jumper is set to master/slave option, the board works with itd pre-downloaded program of using the pushbutton switch to turn on and off the Leds and the LCD works on it.... So the board basically works...
THANK YOU Marty

Hi MARTY,
Digilent Spartan Kit should automatically be detected by window, if the jumper is set to JTAG connection.Which window you are using.I got the same problem on window 7 but it works fine in window xp

Hi All;
I Sort of got it to work ???? If I reload Impact, (with Cable Select information), then it can find and attach to the Spartan 3e.... But if I turn off the Spartan to reset it, then it won't see it.. and I have to re-load the impact from the DVD to get it to show up again...
I have Windows Vista Ultimate, and I am using Web Pack Ise 11.1 .....
I assume that the Cable Select info has to be Saved somewhere, I just Don't know where.... Also since I am NEW to this, I have loaded to the FPGA an example program from Xilinx, But I Don't Know how to make an .mcs file, the program has .bit for the FPGA and I can load the FPGA, I Just don't know how to run it after I have loaded it,,,, and I don't know how to make the files to program the proms and/or rams I have already Erased the (Ithink) prom, So, I don't have the origional program to run in it.... (That came with the system)....
THANK YOU Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.