Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some kind of actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteincorvaja

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi eda! I'm still new here and i need some help. I'm searching for some type of actuator or something similar that when it receives 5Vdc a pin or anything mechanical rises up to at least say 5mm. The size suitable for my particular application has to be approx 5x5x20. is there something similar of what i have in mind?

Thanks in advance and sorry if i missed something.

The handiest answer is a solenoid or something like it. A coil of wire acting on a magnet or piece of iron/ steel.

You'll need to provide enough current to cause physical movement. This may take some experimenting with wire diameter, length of wire, number of turns, etc.

Do you mean the device has to fit within 5mm x 5mm x 20mm?

It's possible to make your own. Use many turns of wire known as 'magnet' (enamel-coated) wire.

An energized coil will attract a magnet. The magnet will release when current is shut off.

Or make a coil with a hollow core, so it will pull up on a magnet or metal rod when energized. The rod will try to center itself inside the coil, so consider making the metal portion short for light weight, then attach a light non-metallic portion to the top of the rod so it will extend upward 5mm.

If you wind the coil around 'soft iron' (example, a nail) then it's an electromagnet. It will attract another piece of soft iron when energized. Then they release when current is shut off. Avoid steel or tempered iron since they'll start retaining magnetism after a few uses.

You must arrange for gravity (or spring action) to return the metal piece to its original position.

The metal piece may be L-shaped, or hinged, or perhaps have a non-metallic piece attached to it. Or you can arrange for it to push or pull on an object obliquely and make it rise 5mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back