Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SN74C926 built with GAL/PAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

killex

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sn74c926

Hi. I'd like to program a GAL (or PAL... I must control what types I have in factory) to build a 74C926 (that cost very much). This is my first device to program and I never programmed in VHDL. Anyone have the program for this IC ? Or something with examples to learn VHDL language ? And how to use Protel to design the 74C926 to create the program for the HW programmer ?
Thanks for any help.
Bye

program gal pal

I have done a lot of GAL programing in VHDL and I do not think it will fit!!! Use some SPLD instead... And software dosent matter. Use the software that the company that supply the chip have!

gal prog pic

Sorry it's not SPLD it's CPLD...
By a book in VHDL and read and lern.......

willems programmer gal

Hi my FRIEND KILLEX
when i read your request . I went to fetch my TTL data books to se what is a 74C926 .. surpise! it was not even listed .Ok later i discovered on the net a data sheet ans the price (around $10 bucks) ..
Well let me start this chip .It's a 4 bit counter + 7 segment multiplexed display drivers wich means in terms of PALS CPLDS or GALS :

4 * 4macros for the counters
7 macros for the segments
4 macros for the strobes digits + multiplex logic
= 23 macros .....Bad news .. there is no such a GAL or PAL able to do that job .the gal 22v10 the biggest one( of the standard) has only 10 macros !
this chips are not well handled by HDL languages .. Because unless you know the architecture of the device .. and if FITS your requirements .the programs just says ERROR ..
People that don't have the experience of lOGIC DESIGN or assume that
they have the thousands of gates avalaible in a HIGH END FPGA .."NEVER GET IT" . thet blame this and that.. never their CODE !

I JUST WONT FIT.... PERIOD!
Now there are some alteras capable of doing the job for $5 . probaby in quantities is less ..ALTERA EP900 will do the job ( 32 macros).. or other ALTERAS ..
Listen your Question is VALID .. is a matter of PRICE REDUCTION ..
I think that the way to GO is with ALTERAS .. Don't focus too much with GALS .. thats a technology of the PAST .
Another solution is to do the same function in FIRMWAre with a PIC ..
PICS are very valid SOLUTIONS to replace low SPEED GLUE LOGIC ..
a counter can be implemented with interrupts and the MULTIPLEXED display in FIRMWARE and the price around $2 .

REGARDS

gal programing

Well let me start this chip .It's a 4 bit counter + 7 segment multiplexed display drivers

Yes,as eltonjohn said, If you interested in price reduction use PIC microcontroller (PIC16F628) to implement this function.

For these reasons

1- It's the cheapst PIC in 18 package (13 I/O pins , I assum that is enough)
2- You don't need to connect external xtal to it (it had a internal xtal)

But search in the other micro families, you can find a cheaper than the pic
(I want to know please)

Bye

4 digit display multiplexer 22v10

how do you count macros for GAL's? The GAL uses out:pin for returning nod. The bigest problem whith the GAL is PIN assigment....

must learn programming language

Thanks all for your responses.
At this point I'm thinking to point to use a PIC (or such microcontrollers). I was thinking to GAL or CPLD because where I work we use this thipe of programmable devices. I think I can build a 74C926 using more IC's but then the problem is that the PCB become to much complex (and I need only one of it). I built time ago the Willem EPROM programmer (if you heard about it on the site https://www.willem.org) that can program PICs, too.
I must learn programming language for it.
Do you know if in Internet I can find anyone that already realized the IC with PIC and post the program on his site ?
Thanks all very much...

programador para gal y pal

Pharaoh of Egypt said:
Yes,as eltonjohn said, If you interested in price reduction use PIC microcontroller (PIC16F628) to implement this function.

For these reasons

1- It's the cheapst PIC in 18 package (13 I/O pins , I assum that is enough)
2- You don't need to connect external xtal to it (it had a internal xtal)

But search in the other micro families, you can find a cheaper than the pic
(I want to know please)

Bye

1- Actually the PIC16F627/627A is cheaper than PIC16F628/628A, it's pin compatible but only have half the flash program memory.
The 4MHz 16F627/627A is the cheapest, but it's also availible in 20MHz version.

2- The PICs doesn't have internal xtal, but internal 4MHz RC-oscillator.

I found the 74C926 priced at $6.95 for one unit and $ 5.95 for +100 units:
**broken link removed**

74C926 data sheet: https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/MM/MM74C926.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back