Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMA Connector on antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMA is "standard" like BNC, multiple vendors. There's
also a SMB which I have no real idea about.

What you show is a SMA bulkhead pass-through connector.
I see on rare occasions, RF blocks with a male SMA but the
norm is male cable, and female "box" fittings.

As dick_freebird says you have linked to an SMA bulk head connector, first this is not the antenna. and will not help you at all, and second, according to https://aerobasegroup.com/part-number/pa90-6-sma-f_01-523-7002 the antenna has a precision N female connector.

This may of course be incorrect, the SMA part of the part number here may be a bit confusing. I would not have used SMA as part of the number if it uses an N type.

If it is the case that it has an N connector then connect to it using a precision N male. If it is not a critical application you can get away with a standard N, but you do run the risk of damagiing the better connector. I would recommend you use a precision connector, at 8 - 12GHz it does matter for best performance.
If you are not experienced at assembling microwave cables and connectors buy a ready made cable assembly. Connectors and cables for that frequency are expensive, it does not take many failures to cover the cost of a decent assembly.

The input to the assembly is N type -F but the antenna port is SMA. hence it has an internal adapter that depends on path length, geometry, frequency losses at 12 GHz and thus cost.
There are (and I have some) N-to-SMA adaptors. Believe
I also have seen N to SMA cables on other peoples' racks
but I stick to all SMA cabling, and adapt.

For long hauls I believe fatter cables (as would likely be
found on N - N cables) are less lossy than skinny SMA
cables tend to be? But I'm no RF test expert, just muddled
through a few episodes.

There are (and I have some) N-to-SMA adaptors. Believe
I also have seen N to SMA cables on other peoples' racks
but I stick to all SMA cabling, and adapt.

For long hauls I believe fatter cables (as would likely be
found on N - N cables) are less lossy than skinny SMA
cables tend to be? But I'm no RF test expert, just muddled
through a few episodes.
If one can make them, use semi-rigid only on SMA. Not hard to make and very reliable, low loss. Just like skinny copper tubing. tin-plated for long life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back